[rollei_list] Re: Olympus 4/3s DSLRs

  • From: Robert Marvin <marvbej@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2009 10:41:44 -0700

FWIW the Olympus 410, 420, and 450 are the smallest DSLRs made. I bought an Olympus E410 [discontinued and VERY cheap] several months ago to use for a neighborhood newsletter I edit and for documenting other neighborhood events, like this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/25605294@N00/sets/72157622265859141/

I just added an E450, as a second body, so that I won't have to switch lenses. The small size was a big attraction--I hate the idea of "35 mm-like" cameras that are as big as MF cameras.

The camera is admirable for this purpose. I use it where formerly I'd have shot film, scanned the negatives, but never printed them. I will probably never print the Olympus photographs either. It will NOT replace my Rolleiflex for my REAL photography, which will always be B&W, printed in my darkroom. Still, it's a joy to use and the image quality is fine for my purposes.

Bob Marvin

Mark Rabiner wrote:

The cameras which came out for that [4/3] format were always bigger than the
prevalent APS-C,  or 1.5x crop