[rollei_list] Re: Old article about SL2000

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 08:54:38 -0300

2012/1/23 Dirk-Roger Schmitt <Dirk-Roger.Schmitt@xxxxxx>:
> Old Article about the launch of the SL2000.
> http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/d-14329107.html
> Maybe somebody wants to read it by use of Google Translator.

Interesting article reflecting the innovative spirit and expectation
around the cubic 2000F camera launch as attempt to face the powerful
Japanese photographic industry, according I interpreted it.

Perhaps it is not a well known fact that the Rollei electronic shutter
used for the 2000, 3003 and 3001 cameras during the Rollei Fototechnic
era was only made in Singapore before the bankruptcy process in 1981.
During the seventies Seiko and Copal became the main electronic
shutter suppliers for  35mm cameras and Rollei wanted its own
electronic shutter thinking in the cubic camera mainly, and then they
developed the symmetrical electronic shutter with the control
components distributed on both shutter sides, while Japanese shutters
had these components on one of the sides only, Rollei symmetrical
shutter was specially suitable for the cubic camera with the lens
mount at the center of the camera front face, anyway this shutter was
used for the Rolleiflex and Voigtländer E cameras for the first time.
Rollei Singapore had made a lot of electronic shutters thinking about
the 2000F production and Rollei Fototechnic became this inventory
owner, they used the shutters for the 2000 and 3000 cameras production
because to reassume the shutters production in Braunschweig would be
expensive too much. In 1994 the shutters inventory was running out and
Rollei decided to stop the 3000 cameras production, there was still a
market for this model but it was not large enough to invest for new
shutters manufacture or to invest for camera body modifications to
allow the electronic Japanese shutters use.
Mamiya had someway a similar situation with their TLR camera, they
stopped the TLR production because they wore the tooling out too much,
there was a market for the camera, but it was not large enough to
invest for new tooling.