[rollei_list] Re: 'Old' Zeiss glass question... HFT and T*

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 22:46:56 -0400

At 01:29 AM 4/27/06 +0000, Carlos Manuel Freaza wrote:
>Well, that was my original point Marc, that HFT and T*
>are the same process, however the other point is that
>Rollei developed with Zeiss the HFT to apply it for
>the Zeiss lenses manufactured by Rollei in Singapore
>under Rollei license as the Zeiss "Camera Lens News Nº
>13, Spring 2001" explains... BYW, Prochnow says the
>same thing in his book "Rollei 35, a camera history",
>I don't think Prochnow could believe in hypes...
>HFT is a process similar to Zeiss T*  and Rollei_Zeiss
>co-developed, Rollei own the HFT process it is not a
>Zeiss license.-

Carlos

This just is not true.  The Zeiss "T*" and Asahi SMC processes are
identical ones developed jointly.  When Rollei purchased Voigtländer, they
were permitted to license the T* process but Zeiss refused to do any
further development work, though they have a proprietary claim on such work
as Rollei does in tweaking the formula for use on the lenses made at
Braunschweig.  (VERY few Singapore lenses were HFT, as production there was
ramping down when HFT became available.  I vaguely recall that the Sonnar
on the 35S family might have been the only Singapore-produced Rollei lens
with HFT, if these lenses were actually made in Singapore, and some
argument exists about that.)

In other words, it was not a "joint Zeiss-Rollei project" but a one-way
street, with Rollei paying money to use a Zeiss process.  To look at it
another way, Zeiss is, with Canon, the largest optical firm in the world
and has huge research facilities (whether Canon or Zeiss is larger depends
on just how you are measuring things and just what you mean by "larger",
but they are are the top two.)  Rollei is a roller-skate of a company and a
joint Zeiss-Rollei research project would be on the order of having Cal
Tech embark on a "joint research project" with Penn Forest Elementary School.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!