[rollei_list] Re: 'Old' Zeiss glass question

  • From: todd belcher <todd_belcher@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 14:37:05 -0700

That's not a very controlled experiment. To be really controlled, you'd need to fit the Zeiss to the Nikon and vice versa as well as what you did, have a look at the four different results and then draw a conclusion.

todd

On 26-Apr-06, at 2:03 PM, Peter J Nebergall wrote:

I performed a "real-world" experiment. I took a Nikon FA and 180mm ED
F2.8, and a (Miles Upton rebuilt) Exakta VXIIb with Zeiss Olympia- Sonnar
180mm f2.8, and went to the local stock car racetrack. I used monopods.
The Exakta and Olympia whipped the Nikon ED. The Nikon was a bit easier
to use, but that was never the question. The Zeiss did better.

I've taken Contaxes and Exaktas (Zeiss Jena glass on both, coated and
uncoated) and outshot the J-School kiddies over and over again.....

I feel a bit like those guys from SASS (single-action shooting society)
who can shoot far better with old colts than most can with the latest
wonderguns.....

Its all in how well it jumps in your hand.

Peter Nebergall

On Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:19:59 +0200 Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
writes:
Disclaimer: I know, I should wait and see for myself.

Disclaimer 2: By old, I don't mean old (pre WWII), but old (pre
1970s/1980s/'modern'). I mean Zeiss lenses from 1950-1960 (i.e. I'm
passing the time waiting for my new toys to arrive ;-)

While I'm waiting, I read through a few websites. I see some people
saying that these lenses aren't as good with colour film/slide as
"modern" lenses. But pretty much all modern lenses are built
according
to formulas developed between 1880-1930, right? The only real
difference today is in exotic glass and anti-reflective coating, as
far
as I can ascertain.

Some websites claim that the Zeiss (esp. post-war) lenses are every
bit
as good (often better) than modern offerings, others say it's 'not
as
good' as modern lenses, especially with colour emulsions. I'm not
sure,
but it seems that the sites claiming the latter are either
interested
in getting people to buy new equipment (i.e. photo magazines) or
different/more equipment (i.e. Leica forums).

My initial gut feeling is that these postwar lenses are probably
equal
to pretty much any modern offering, but I'm curious as to what
others
have found.

What's your experience?

Thor

'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
www.freelists.org

--- Rollei List

--- Rollei List