[rollei_list] Re: 'Old' Zeiss glass question

  • From: Jeffery Smith <jls@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 16:17:28 -0500

No aspherical surfaces. I'm not sure when they started multicoating, but I don't think that early. Zeiss used the designation of *T for their multicoating. When they began doing it, I don't know. I think that modern CNC machining and computer designing gives lenses from the last 20 years a decided advantage over the 50's designs. But they sure were good given the tools of that era.

At 03:57 PM 4/26/2006, you wrote:

Let me be more specific - the cameras I bought both have 'black-nose' Zeiss-Opton 50mm f1.5 Sonnars, both from the 50's -60's, i.e. multicoated (T*).

So for all practical purposes, this IS a modern lens, no?

Thor

On 26 Apr, 2006, at 22:24, Jeffery Smith wrote:

I'm still amazed that the best overall performing lens in my entire collection is a 50/3.5 CV Heliar that was from a design waaaaay back in the early 20th century. It seems to have been based on an earlier design of the Tessar. Very simple, but very good optically.

Jeffery

At 03:14 PM 4/26/2006, Richard wrote:
As far as design goes, my designer friend, Brian Caldwell, tells me that many of the older Zeiss designs are about as good as they can get. Setting these up in a lens optimization program demonstrates that even changes in glass types will not much improve them. Old Tessars and Protars fall into this category. This is not to say that they are wonderful lenses, only that Zeiss pretty well exhausted the capabilities early on.

--- Rollei List