[rollei_list] 'Old' Zeiss glass question

  • From: Thor Legvold <tlegvold@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2006 20:19:59 +0200

Disclaimer: I know, I should wait and see for myself.

Disclaimer 2: By old, I don't mean old (pre WWII), but old (pre 1970s/1980s/'modern'). I mean Zeiss lenses from 1950-1960 (i.e. I'm passing the time waiting for my new toys to arrive ;-)

While I'm waiting, I read through a few websites. I see some people saying that these lenses aren't as good with colour film/slide as "modern" lenses. But pretty much all modern lenses are built according to formulas developed between 1880-1930, right? The only real difference today is in exotic glass and anti-reflective coating, as far as I can ascertain.

Some websites claim that the Zeiss (esp. post-war) lenses are every bit as good (often better) than modern offerings, others say it's 'not as good' as modern lenses, especially with colour emulsions. I'm not sure, but it seems that the sites claiming the latter are either interested in getting people to buy new equipment (i.e. photo magazines) or different/more equipment (i.e. Leica forums).

My initial gut feeling is that these postwar lenses are probably equal to pretty much any modern offering, but I'm curious as to what others have found.

What's your experience?

Thor