[rollei_list] Re: Off/On T: Tripod Suggestion for Camera

  • From: eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 17:19:28 +0000

Bogen / Manfrotto 715B Digi for portability. Limited to 2.2 pounds, so no big
zooms. This will handle your Rollei just fine in most situations, and it's easy
to keep in the car or backpack. I looked at these at a shop once and was very
impressed. They even make a model that requires no head. Adjustments are rather
more laborious, but if weight is the main concern, this series is it.

Bogen / Manfrotto 725B Digi. Limited to 7.? pounds, will do better, but at 3.3#
weight, and 19" length, what's another 2#, and 4 more inches of folded length,
for the much more steady and long wearing 3001 series? You have to answer that
of course. I can highly recommend my Bogen / Manfrotto 3001D Deluxe Tripod, but
I have not hiked with it yet. I imagine I'm going to have to buy something
lighter for the road (good thing my wife doesn't read this).

In the $100 - $200 range you have quite a few very good options. Weight
capacity should be considered, as it translates into stability. The 10# range
is more than sufficient for you. Look for bundles (legs&head), and rebate
offers on the Bogen Manfrotto line. B&H, Adorama, etc.

I got a ball head for my tripod, and I love it for my SLR, but not so for my
TLR, and it turns out I use it more often with my TLR - so much for being a
careful buyer. I find the Rolleiflex too narrow and tall on a ball head.
There's nothing to grab that's not right on top of, and too high from, the ball
head set screw to make minor adjustments with. A pan head would have been
better, though bulkier. I'll get used to it. Also be aware that the bottom of
the Rollei has a non-standard threading for the tripod mount (this brings us
back ON topic), and requires an adapter. Someone else with more knowledge than
I can offer may be able to fill in the details.

Good luck,

Elias

From: Hacks4ever@xxxxxxx
> Hello,
>
> I am a new photographer and need a tripod to use both Rolleicord and  Minolta
> 35MM.  Could someone suggest a brand name and give me an idea on  price.  I
> live in Peoria, Illinois.  I also would like one that is  lightweight as I
> will
> be traveling and using it in some rustic locations.   Thank you for your
> input.  Sandi
> email to everyone.  Find out more about what's free from AOL at
> http://www.aol.com.

I am a new photographer and need a tripod to use both Rolleicord and Minolta 35MM.  Could someone suggest a brand name and give me an idea on price.  I live in Peoria, Illinois.  I also would like one that is lightweight as I will be traveling and using it in some rustic locations.  Thank you for your input.  Sandi

--- End Message ---