[rollei_list] Off Topic request

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Recipient list suppressed:;
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 18:47:20 -0600

This is a completely off-list request for folks who, after receiving any level of college degree, entered the working world in engineering or any of the sciences. If this doesn't include you please excuse the intrusion and ignore the following.

After 55 years of working in a multitude of engineering and scientific organizations, followed by some independent consulting, I have completely retired. In reviewing my real world experiences with my University and College training I reached the conclusion that much of what is taught in school really plays only a minor role in success in the real world.

For the past year I have been putting together a book which attempts to explain, to beginning engineers and scientists, some of the main differences between College and the real world, what might be called an attempt to avoid "culture shock", (an over used term but one that best describes the objective of my book).

As work progressed I found that this general notion (school and the real world are very different), wasn't in any way an original one, first having been written about in a 60 page pamphlet published in 1944, and updated several times since then. My book doesn't duplicate the material in the pamphlet, it does expand on that general notion. I should also add that my book is in no way relate to the multitude of books which tell the reader "How to succeed in Engineering without even trying".

I would welcome off-list notes from anyone who has crossed the boundary from formal class work to the real world. If you are willing to participate I would send you the central quote from that 1944 publication, and then ask just two questions which can be answered in a sentence, a paragraph, or a page, whatever level of detail you might wish to provide.

All material received will held in confidence and will be used for guidance only, however if it seems to be appropriate to quote any material, credit will be given if requested by the sender.

Thanks for your cooperation and again, please excuse the intrusion into the list.

DAW

Don Williams
909 Kelsi Drive
Moore, OK 73160-0703