[rollei_list] Re: OT--for Richard: Telephoto chromatic aberration

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Feb 2010 00:15:12 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "John Wilton" <john@xxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 16, 2010 8:25 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] OT--for Richard: Telephoto chromatic aberration

I recently acquired a 300/4.5 Nikkor-H, a 1969 design with 6 elements in 5 groups. I was surprised to find that it has noticeable CA. I compared it with a 280/4.8 Leitz Telyt (1961, 4 elements in 4 groups) and found a similar degree of CA. I then tried my 400/5.6 Novoflex Noflexar (old, coated, 2 elements in one group): slightly less noticeable CA. The first two, true telephotos, had red fringing; the long-focus achromat had blue fringing.

The CA here is not terrible, only visible at hard light-to-dark edges. But much more than one sees with fast lenses covering a wider angle.

I wonder if there is a layman's explanation for CA in relatively modern lenses with many elements covering a very narrow angle.
---
I don't have a specific answer for this. Some aberrations scale with focal length and that may be the case here. Also, there are two forms of chromatic aberration, lateral and longitudinal. Longitudinal is the variety one usually thinks of. This is a variation in focal length, and hense focus, with color. It is the aberration that is usually balanced out of lenses by choosing the correct combination of average index of refraction and dispersion for the positive and negative elements. Lateral chromatic aberration is something else, it is a variation of magnification with color. all the colors focus in the same plane but the size of the images is different. This aberration is automatically balanced out when the lens is symmetrical, actually the cancellation is complete only where the image and object distances are equal, but it is substantial even when a symmterical lens is focused for infinity. Lenses like the Dagor and Apochromatic Artar are examples. Lateral chromatic can be eliminated from unsymmetrical lenses but it is more difficult. These lenses could have either or both. Longitudinal chromatic can be detected by using colored filters over the lens and measuring any shift in focus between, say blue and red. Lateral chromatic can be detected the same way except that there will be no change in focus, only a difference in magnification, i.e., the size of the images. Good quality telephoto lenses should not have either aberration and it is disturbing that lenses made by rather respectible manuacturers display it. I will ask if you are seeing this in a reflex finder or if you have observed it in actual photographs. It _could_ be the aberration is in the finder. If in the lenses it should be visible in test photographs.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA