[rollei_list] Re: OT:Photographic Chemistry

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 23:16:26 -0500

>> Lets hope we all started using rubber gloves and not
>> identifying chemistry
>> by smell a long time ago.
>>
>> [Rabs]
>> Mark William Rabiner
>
>     PPD is a sensitiser and can cause serious rashes. It is
> also a prolific stainer when allowed to dry on things. It is
> also the parent of most chromogenic developers although much
> less toxic ones have been developed.
>     I strongly suggest the use of nitrile gloves. Latex
> itself is a sensitizer and some people are very alergic to
> it. Also, it is permeable to many chemicals. Food handling
> nitrile gloves are much more effective and are very cheap.
> or
> --
> Richard Knoppow

I do have a friend who swore for years all the stuff he was using was
harmless, Pyro and so on and it appeared at one point his darkroom was going
to be the end of him. He barely survived. Inspired me to continues being
carful and taking the kind of precautions most others were in darkrooms in
the 90's.
But I only used pyro a few times in my life I mainly used the less toxic
stuff. If you call Metol / Elon not toxic as its what takes most people out
of the darkroom. Once you develop a sensitivity to it you cant get near a
darkroom again. Mainly an MQ or PQ kinda guy.

[Rabs]
Mark William Rabiner