[rollei_list] Re: OT:Nikon picture format

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 14:26:19 -0500

At the risk of being banged on the wrist (or should I say keyboard) by Marc, my 2 cents worth-

In the summer of 1954 there was a building (A4 was it) in Yokusuka, where our military could by china, cameras, etc. I remember specifically that they had Nikons and Cannons, (yes, good copies of their German counterparts) with 1.4 or 1.5 lenses, for $135. I couldn't make up my mind so I didn't buy one. I'm pretty sure they were both 24X36. I think they had some MF cameras but don't really recall.

Also, we had just been to Hong Kong and I had bought a very complete Rollei F2.8C setup so decided to stay on medium format. I still have those early B&W Hong Kong negs but had to sell the 2.8C to be able to use a new Rolleimarin. Wish I had that camera back.

I had a very old GE light meter (still do) and between that and the little sheet that came with the film, never had a badly exposed picture.

Now I am mostly digital and really appreciate the ability to have the camera show me the highlight and low light areas right on the spot, a real-time "zone system". I assume something like that exists or will soon exist for MF digitals.

Anyone remember that building?

DAW