[rollei_list] Re: OT:Nikon picture format

  • From: Carlos Manuel Freaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 11:29:24 -0700 (PDT)

You started this discussion Marc and I'll try to avoid discussions with you in
the future, the unreasonableness is not valid reason to me, I have quoted much
more than your called "Mitusbishi..etc.", that is the Japanese source; I can`t
see the way a format that tended to save film giving more frames per roll could
increase the sale of US film in Japan, it does not make sense.
This is from the Nikon Historical Society web site, an American site, not
Mitsubishi site and Rotoloni belongs to this society:

"The Nikon I was produced from March of 1948 to August of 1949, or a little
over one year. The Nikon 1 had no flash synch of any kind, "Made in Occupied
Japan (MIOJ)" engraved on the baseplate and either a 50mm F3.5 or 2.0 Nikkor in
a collapsible mount. This model did not prove to be very popular, ___for the Gl
IQ of the Occupation forces, under General MacArthur, would not allow the
camera to be exported to the US because the 24 x 32 format was not compatible
with Kodachrome slide mounts. Therefore, very few Nikon Is made their way to
the US even though they were sold to the Occupation troops. It was this
restriction on export, because of the film size, that prompted Nippon Kogaku to
introduce a second model which corrected this. In August of 1949, the Nikon I
was discontinued and replaced by a second model known as the Nikon M."___

http://www.nikonhs.org/history.html

Carlos

PS:My last message on this topic, not by your erratic list moderation (I'm
talking about criterions to moderate the list)but due to my will.-

--- El lun 28-sep-09, Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx> escribió:

> Carlos
>
> I REALLY do not want to get off on this, but I do wish that
> you'd quit drinking the Mitsubishi Cool-Aid.
>
> The format was adopted at the insistence of the Allied
> Control Commission for several reasons, primarily to both
> keep Japanese cameras from the US market and to increase the
> sale of US film in Japan.  Again, this was made to
> encourage the Japanese to steer away from the production of
> warlike stuff and to go to more peaceful items such as
> cameras and camera lenses.  By 1949, there was little
> danger of the Japanese reverting to producing munitions, so
> the ban on the use of the 24mm by 36mm format was lifted.
>
> This is all documented in the records of the Allied Control
> Commission.  Certainly Rotoloni acknowledged this in
> his NIKON RF COMPENDIUM.
>
> Let's get back to discussing Rolleiflex gear.  There
> are other lists dedicated to Nikon.
>
> Marc
>

> msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

> with 'subscribe'

> with
> 'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
> www.freelists.org

      Yahoo! Cocina

http://ar.mujer.yahoo.com/cocina/