[rollei_list] Re: OT:Kodak Pocket 1A Autographic

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2010 09:59:32 -0300

2010/7/20 Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>   The lens may be something as simple as a symmetrical meniscus. Kingslake
> wrote that Kodak experimented with color corrected meniscus lenses on some
> box cameras but found that the difference it made in the image was not great
> enough to justify the cost. If you investigate this please post your
> results.

Yesterday I disassembled my Kodak Brownie Six 20 or Six 20 Target or
Six 20 Junior "Black Face" front panel to clean the lens, it has at
least two elements, the first element is inserted in the front panel,
the second element is placed behind the rotary shutter and the
diaphragm (it's a vertical bar with two holes). Both surfaces of the
first element look flat (perhaps they could be concave slightly), both
surfaces of the second element are convex, I could clearly perceive it
cleaning the surfaces. This lens is called "Diway" in the Kodak
manuals, any subject beyond ten feet will be sharp but there is no
other data on this lens in the manuals.

The shutter speeds for Kodak rotaries shutter with only one speed can
vary from 1/35 to 1/40 and to 1/50. The bigger hole in my Brownie
means about f/11, the smaller hole means about f/16. The F stop scale
for most old Kodak folding cameras marked 1, 2, 3, 4 means about f/11,
f/16, f/22 and f/32.

I verified that the film sheets (nominal 6.5x9cm) for the Rollei TLR
plate adapter fits in my Brownie film gate exactly, I'll see the way
to keep it fixed on the film plane to take a photograph as experiment,
anyway I think an ISO 50 film is better for the shutter speed than an
ISO 25, but I still could use the T shutter speed option; only for fun
of course.