[rollei_list] Re: OT: recommended reading

  • From: ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 20:49:34 -0500

Thank you for that insight Slobodan. Eight years of printing others' design work has made me a much better, and more flexible designer and printer than I could have been out of school, or behind a computer screen, so I fully understand what you're saying.

A good book or two to read wouldn't be bad though.
E.

On Dec 26, 2006, at 3:01 PM, Slobodan Dimitrov wrote:

My best education in photography, besides the sit downs with working photographers, was when I worked at a rental BW darkroom while in college. It made me quit my photo classes, as I was getting far more from the job through others' mistakes and successes, than I was getting at school. I also wound up switching majors, to something completely non-photographic. The ability to visualize from another perspective, other than what one gets from photo school, was invaluable in making me a better photographer.

Slobodan Dimitrov
http://www.sdimitrovphoto.com/

On Dec 26, 2006, at 11:53 AM, ERoustom wrote:

I have a fine arts & design education, and career (no less) to draw on, but I find it hard to pull that into the viewfinder. I'm still too fascinated by the mechanics and chemistry, the tools (toys?) and their rules, to feel freely creative. I was thinking that reading something about creating visual art by exposing film would help me move forward.

Looking at others' work has been quite helpful. The RUG flickr page for instance. What's missing is critical commentary, with a theoretical or historical perspective. I suppose that's the sort of book(s) I'm looking for.

Thanks,

Elias

On Dec 26, 2006, at 2:11 PM, Jeffery Smith wrote:

For inspiration, I generally look at the works of others, like Capa and HCB. I have found that some of the photography technique books out there really aren't very good (or at least not helpful to me at all). I have decided to
look instead at books on design and composition in general (not just
photography, but design theory for everything, especially what is found in
nature).

Which sort of books are you looking for?

Jeffery Smith
New Orleans, LA
http://www.400tx.com
http://400tx.blogspot.com/