[rollei_list] Re: OT / prove it !

  • From: Slobodan Dimitrov <s.dimitrov@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 19:49:17 -0800

I would have to agree with Eric on this one.
The sheer volume of negative with 120 gives a much deeper density to
the final print.
However, not all 120 cameras give the same qualitative results.
A way that's been used to compensate for that difference is to print a
35mm neg is with the blacks in the final print nearly blocked.
If you look at works by Kratochvil, Klein, Koudelka (All the K folks)
and the like, you'll get a sense of what was done.
They did this in the 50's and 60's, competing for page space with
people shooting with 120 and 4x5.
Even Gene Smith prints that I've seen used the same presentational
mannerism.
Most of them  shooting with the Leica I might add.
S. Dimitrov

Slobodan Dimitrov
http://sdimitrovphoto.com