[rollei_list] Re: OT / prove it !

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 18:20:31 -0500

At 12:51 AM 3/31/05 +0200, Fred Fichter wrote:

>Here is my question : why all this fuss regarding leicas ? Because it=20
>produces better pictures ? Then please, show me examples of pictures=20
>that one cannot make with any SLR and a good fast lens...

That really is not the proper question, Fred.  More properly, the question
should be about the immense utility of a rangefinder camera over the
weak-sister abilities of an SLR, the wide-ranging capacity of the Leica
system (my M6, for instance, can use Leitz accessories made in 1937 without
a problem), and the capability of the camera:  the Leica camera is reliable
to a point which Nikon deliberately chose not to match and its lack of
shutter noise allows great pictures to be shot in really low-light=
 conditions.

Leica lenses are great lenses but they have only recently come to be at the
cutting edge.  (The recent 1.4/ and 2/35 lenses, the recent 1.4/50
Summicron, the somewhat older 1.4/75 Summilux, the recent 2/90 Summicron
and the 135 APO ASPH Televid all are now industry standards, whle the wider
lenses (I yawn in boredom!) seem to be at the front rank as well.)  But,
over the years, Leitz rarely produced world-standard lenses despite their
hype:  only the Summitar and early Summicron really deserve proper respect
but this started changing with the NR Summicron, the 2/9cm Summicron, and
the epic pace-setter of the 1.4/35 Summilux, all in the late 1950's and
into the early 1960's, followed by the 1963 second version of the Summilux,
a lens as good as Bertele's 1931 1.5/5cm CZJ Sonnar.  But, to that point,
the Leica history was based on the production of a grand and most utile
camera coupled with decent lenses.  Only in the recent years has Leica
REALLY pushed the limits on lens quality.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx=20
Cha robh b=E0s fir gun ghr=E0s fir!