[rollei_list] Re: OT perhaps: Kodak motion picture film for still cameras

  • From: CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2011 07:19:49 -0300

2011/12/14 Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>   Kodak used a backing on many of its motion picture films called RemJet. It
> was also a lubricating and anti-static film. It was removed in automatic
> processing machines by a high pressure spray or jet of water, hense the
> name. This was used on Kodachrome but AFAIK no other still film. In fact,
> Kodak seems to have discontinued it on most of their motion picture stock. I
> think Kodak still has data sheets on their motion picture films on the web
> site and that may tell the tale. Remjet can form a gummy mess in processing
> machines not designed for it so processors tend to avoid Kodak motion
> picture type films even though most no longer have the coating.
>   I am not sure how much difference there is in ECN (Eastman Color Negative)
> and C-41 processing, probably enough to require the correct process.

Thank you very much Richard for the explanation. Vision3 250D and T
are current Kodak motion picture films, they do have
an acetate safety base with rem-jet backing according the film
technical data sheet, it requires a dedicated machine because regular
C-41 machines have problems with the film as you wrote. It seems the
process is pretty similar regarding the C-41, however I read some
users (using the film for still cameras) comments saying results are
poor with C-41 and very good to excellent with the right ECN 2
process.