[rollei_list] Re: OT perhaps: Kodak motion picture film for still cameras

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Dec 2011 14:54:25 -0500

On Dec 14, 2011, at 8:14 AM, Don Williams wrote:

At 11:31 PM 12/13/2011, Richard Knoppow wrote:
Kodak used a backing on many of its motion picture films called RemJet. It was also a lubricating and anti-static film. It was removed in automatic processing machines by a high pressure spray or jet of water, hense the name. This was used on Kodachrome but AFAIK no other still film. In fact, Kodak seems to have discontinued it on most of their motion picture stock. I think Kodak still has data sheets on their motion picture films on the web site and that may tell the tale. Remjet can form a gummy mess in processing machines not designed for it so processors tend to avoid Kodak motion picture type films even though most no longer have the coating. I am not sure how much difference there is in ECN (Eastman Color Negative) and C-41 processing, probably enough to require the correct process.

Are any of these films related to what a company (I seem to recall as Seattle Film Works) used to give out for free and then charge for processing, producing slides and prints? My recollection is they collected tails of film from movie studios and re-packaged it for 35mm still camera use.

Their mode of operation was to give away the film, return processed slides, prints, and negatives, and include another free roll of film in a standard cartridge.

I tried them a couple of times and thought the results were generally acceptable. They shut down a few years back, not sure of the reason, I think it had to do with reduced availability of the stock they used.

It was only a few years ago that I tossed out some un-exposed rolls they had sent.

DAW

More than 40 years ago, I used to buy re-spooled Eastmancolor 5247 motion picture stock from studio short ends at RGB Color Lab in Los Angeles. Regular labs wouldn't handle this stuff because of the Rem Jet backing, but RGB's main business was movie film processing, so they were set up for developing these negatives, then printing transparencies from them. Like the Seattle company, $3.50 got you negs printable at any color lab, a set of color slides and a fresh roll of film.

For producing color slides, it was an extremely versatile system. Balanced for 3200K lighting, the film could be exposed in daylight corrected through an 85B filter, or if the extra 2/3 f stop were needed, the slides could be corrected in the lab at no extra charge, and could be pushed 1 or 2 stops for $1 more. In addition, the whole roll of negatives, if kept intact, could produce identical slide sets in whatever quantity needed.

At the time, the color got mixed reviews by area photographers, but I was one who liked and preferred its palette over most of the other then current offerings. Its lower contrast was often helpful in tucking in the harsh sunlight of Southern California, and the bargain price made it possible for me to do that much more unpaid color photography.

Well, it was fun while it lasted, but it didn't last; that is, the film. Within 10 years, the slides had gone mostly magenta and the negatives unable to print properly. Except for some Kodachromes, most of my color slides from that era are dead or dying. It is actually painful for me to view them anymore.

So, there's my sad story of having been seduced and abandoned. Learn from my folly, passing stranger!