[rollei_list] Re: OT iPod (was Re: Wanted to Buy Macintosh SE/30)

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 20:42:41 +0100

Wow Eric,
most of my colleagues in travel have an ipod, nobody uses it for video we all laughed at the very thought!
Why do you think the hearing loss is now prevalent with the ipod then? Since the 60s young people I know have been listening too loud on headphones (myself included), in the old days with MUCH more power than an ipod. The walkman came out in 1980, I have sat next to people listening to -them- at levels loud enough for -me- to listen comfortably. In between there have been portable CDs and minidiscs all with more power than the pityful little low power miniature long life battery ipod amp. Mystery to me if what you say is true. Don't forget there was no net for reading complete bollocks on in 1980.
Frank

On 17 Sep, 2006, at 18:59, Eric Goldstein wrote:

Frank Dernie wrote:
Hi Eric,
I would be surprised if anybody actually used an ipod for video and the ability to deafen oneself on headphones was widely practised decades before the ipod on student stereo rigs the world over.

Hi Frank -

Unfortunately, not true on either account!

The use of iPod video is exploding at least domestically and next year a device to view iPod video downloads on your full-screen TV will be introduced... I shudder at and can only begin to comprehend the compromises necessary to allow this to happen...

Audiologists in alarming numbers are reporting the explosion (bad pun) in substantial hearing losses they are seeing (record numbers) post-iPod... this stuff is all readily available and described in lots of detail all over the net...

Regards,

Eric Goldstein

--- Rollei List