[rollei_list] OT iPod (was Re: Wanted to Buy Macintosh SE/30)

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 12:22:08 -0400

Frank Dernie wrote:

obviously our priorities differ! I travel all over the world for my work (about 60 flights a year) and am a music lover. The ipod is absolutely the best thing that has happened to my travelling in 30 years! I pre-ordered the original as soon as it was announced and it is still going strong. The walkman was a great breakthrough but the ipod does it so small. I also now have a larger capacity one too. It has been a delight to own a piece of microprocessor controlled domestic equipment with an intelligent intuitive user interface. None of the Japanese mass market have managed it, be it programming a VCR or changing the settings on a digicam! My daughter bought a Sony mp3 player in a burst of "anti hype" - nicely made unit - not as good in any other way.
Frank

The flip side of the iPod (audio or video) is a gross dumbing down of fidelity, mixes that only sound decent on headphones, visual content that only looks good on the small screen, and an epidemic of substantial hearing loss... these are not trivial downsides...

Eric Goldstein --- Rollei List