[rollei_list] Re: OT: cds vs. selenium

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Aug 2007 10:39:13 -0400

Interestingly enough, I have measured light from the palms belonging to persons of several races with differing skin hues and find less than than 1/2 f stop difference among them.

Allen Zak

On Aug 7, 2007, at 10:13 AM, eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Just like everything else... I've been told one stop, as the palm of just about any hand is zone 6. That's what's great about photography: no answer is right, and the confusion can only be settled with yet another roll of film, or two.

E.
From: "Gene Johnson" <genej2ster@xxxxxxxxx>
metering the palm of my hand in the same light as the subject, and
adding two stops of exposure has always been a good start for me.

On 8/6/07, ERoustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thank you. That makes sense now.

Elias

On Aug 5, 2007, at 11:14 PM, Marc James Small wrote:

At 10:44 PM 8/5/2007, ERoustom wrote:
I suspect that part of the canard of inaccuracy comes from the
reality that we have institutionally forgotten that a selenium
meter needs to be used differently from the manner in which a CdS
or later meter is employed.  LEARN how to use a selenium meter and
it is perfectly suitable.

Could you give a novice a hint or two on the differences in using the
two?

Selenium offers a metering material which more closely matches the
response range of chemical emulsions than do later materials such
as CdS, SPD, or Gallium Arsenide.  But selenium requires a wider
acceptance angle -- no one has yet manufactured a one-degree
Selenium spot meter!

Accordingly, you have to average a good deal.  This generally
requires more attention to what is being metered coupled with
sweeping the meter up and down and side to side to obtain an
average reading.  The reading so obtained should be quite usable.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!

'unsubscribe' in the subject field OR by logging into
www.freelists.org

Be Just and Fear Not