[rollei_list] OT auto exposure bracketing

  • From: Newhouse230@xxxxxxx
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2012 16:15:44 -0400 (EDT)

I have used auto exposure bracketing on occasions where there  is very
contrasty lighting, well above the dynamic range of the  digital camera to
capture with a single exposure.
I would then choose selected areas from the underexposed shot  (which
exposed the highlights well) and clone those 'better exposed' highlights  on to
areas of the 'normally exposed' shot.
Kind of a poor mans HDR rendition.
   True HDR has not impressed me as it always seems  to look artificial,
but replacing blown highlights with a different capture that  has some detail
in those highlights is a reasonable approach I  think.

Regards,
Charlie Silverman

In a message dated 3/28/2012 2:16:25 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
dwilli10@xxxxxxx writes:

At 02:53 AM 3/28/2012, Laurence wrote, in part:

In practice shooting I would  expect the entire capture process to take
place on a fractions of a second  time scale, which might preclude very active
shots, but which would cover  most normal shooting. It would in principle be
similar to the automatic  bracketing that some high end film cameras
indulge in if you let  them.

All the best

Laurence Cuffe

The  last couple of digital cameras I have had will automatically shoot at
least 3  sequential shots under and over exposed by a value you can control.
 I  haven't tried it yet, partly because I haven't needed to do it and
partly  because the documentation and options are beyond comprehension by the
average  human bean.

DAW