[rollei_list] Re: OT - a problem for every solution.

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 16:13:14 -0500

On Sunday, January 30, 2005, at 09:41  AM, Austin Franklin wrote:

>>> They (the Chaparral 2J) were banned for a very good safety reason.
>>> They sucked up debris from the track and spit it out the rear of the
>>> car. <...snip...>
>>
>> Austin, my dear chap! That could have easily been solved by having
>> the air strained ... like through a strainer.
>
> Sigh. Your proposed "solution" has been thought of by thousands of
> people long before you. Anyone with even a simple understanding of the
> issue would understand that your proposal would not work.
>
>> (One needs, however, to be an un-engineer - like, say, a cook - to
>> figure out these easy solutions,
>
> Your (typical) claim of an "easy solution" that does not work, and the
> reason you don't understand why something doesn't work before even
> opening your mouth, is because of your lack of actual understanding of
> the material.

It DOES work. I have strained soup many, MANY times, to get a TOTALLY
grit-free beverage.

AND I have used a vacuum-cleaner, which emits TOTALLY grit-free air.
(Note that my tiny "Shark" hand-held vacuum cleaner has enough suction
to pick up a bowling ball!)

Not to mention that there are other solutions to the debris problem,
somewhat more sophisticated than a strainer: like for instance Dyson's
centrifugal force vacuum-cleaner which uses neither a bag nor a
strainer. (See for instance
<http://www.wipo.int/pct/en/inventions/bagless_vacuum_cleaner/>, if you
haven't already seen the numerous commercials about it on TV!)

Besides, I did not find anyone else claiming what you claim. Popular
Science says no such thing in their article in the September 2004 issue
which is totally devoted to cars, even though they have a photo of the
Chaparral prominently displayed; and neither do any of the racing
magazines I have come across when discussing the Chaparral. Indeed it's
likely that the open tires on race cars would throw up far more debris
than any fan.

(You seem to have a problem for every solution, Austin. It might do you
some good to take a tip from Management *Guru* Tom Peters, and treat
every challenge like an opportunity, rather than treating every
opportunity like a challenge ... ;-)!

Cheers!

+++++

PS: Uh ... I notice that you give no REASON above for your saying that
it won't work. Is there a reason why you hesitate to give a reason?