[rollei_list] OT: Zeiss Ikon's Odd Doings

  • From: Marc James Small <msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 09 Sep 2005 23:00:36 -0400

At 08:58 PM 9/9/05 -0500, Peter Mattei wrote:
Thanks, all.  I've been lurking for the past week or so.  I've added the
monetary convertor to my favorites.  Some time ago (ca 1997/8) I collected
Rolleis and oddball cameras found in-and-around the San Diego area.  I even
had Jerry over to the house one perfect San Diego Saturday (aren't they
all?).  Since then, I've moved up the coast to Carlsbad; although, I am
actually working in Huntsville, AL with the occasional weekend trip back to
San Diego.  Someday, this project will end...just now it allows for family,
dog, house on the coast.  Marc, I'd like you to see something that I've
also discussed with your cohort, Charlie Barringer, in New Jersey:

www.cvctwi/ernemann.htm

You may have already seen it but I wanted you to know that any information
as to its raison d'etre is unresolved.  The folks at the Zeiss Foundation
museum have been unresponsive so maybe their intellectual curiosity is a
bit down, for now (?).  A couple of my assumptions such as the number "135"
have been addressed; however, it seems to a bit of an odd contraption that
was perhaps purpose-built.  But to what purpose?   I've seen or heard tell
of targeting cameras, aerial cameras, "Noct" cameras, etc but never
anything on the order of this 9X12cm  20cm f:1.5.  Any Clues??

I intend to get the camera to Charlie so that he can shoot a few plates but
any suggestions as to its reason for being would be helpful.  Heck, maybe
we can have a contest for "Most Original Build Proposal"...just like
government grants.  I'll be in San Diego the last week of September and
also the end of October so that maybe Jerry can swing-by and take a look.
What about it?
=========================
Peter

Had you added the mandatory "http:" to the web address, this would have
shown up to almost all of us as a "hot link", meaning that we could simply
click on the link to reach the site.  When you decide to do this, I will be
glad to look at your gizmo.  To neglect this simple courtesy stands only as
proof of your own laziness.

I have no idea why you have confused me with someone who knows anything
about Zeiss Ikon plate cameras.  Of these, I only know the bare minima.
Charlie Barringer does know quite a bit about these, however, and I
encourage you to continue to work with him.

That "http:" means something, lad.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!