[rollei_list] Re: OT: Zeiss Agencies

  • From: Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 20:36:00 +0100

Not at all, I am trying to explain the apparent disparity in Doug's list pointing out that the USA uses defence expenditure, probably an order of magnitude more than necessary, to help keep the domestic economy healthy. This has been happening for decades, as a result of which US arms are state of the art, often a NATO standard, and that the UK buys lots of them, but of course much less than the US, not least because a vast amount of our taxes have been spent on public health care provision amongst other things.

Each government chooses how to spend their tax revenues differently.

It means he is trying to paint the US as a war mongering nation. Statistics used this way can show a very distorted view.

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 9:58 AM, Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This may have had some validity 20 years ago, but in a
global/outsourced economy, what exactly does this mean today?

Eric Goldstein

On Thu, Jun 18, 2009 at 12:37 PM, FRANK
DERNIE<frank.dernie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Not so. The US targets domestic suppliers for defen ce items. The majority of the UK budget is probably spent in the US too.

Peter K
Ó¿Õ¬