[rollei_list] Re: OT - Wisner, Ebony, Hobo (was: Cost of LF (was: Austin has Unsubscribed))

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 22:07:15 -0400

On Wednesday, April 20, 2005, at 09:44  PM, John A. Lind wrote:

> I had found and contemplated this one:
>    http://www.wisner.com/16x20.htm
>
> Then I found this one:
>    http://www.wisner.com/Page13.html
>
> The latter tips the scale just enough to be "two man lift" ;-)

Wisners are frightfully expensive, and not all that good either
compared to Ebony. Or so I am given to understand. To me, anyway, Ebony
is the *ne plus ultra* in LF. Check out their site at
<http://www.ebonycamera.com/cam.html>. The "Leica of LF", IMHO. Can
only increase in value with time.

That said, I WOULD like to get an 11x14 system, which Ebony does not
make, to come up with Platinum contact prints. That will have to wait,
however, till I have set up my 8x10 system. Money is tight right now.

> Actually, if I did acquire LF gear it would be 4x5 . . . but it did
> bring up visualization of what would be entailed setting up one of
> these . . . not exactly for Cartier-Bresson style candids.
>
> -- John Lind

Nothing larger than 8x10 can be hand-held, IMHO.

That said, the 8x10 Hobo IS capable of being hand-held and can take
Cartier-Bresson style candids, and with MUCH more detail and tonal
range, to boot! See <http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Hobo/welcome.htm>,
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Hobo/Practice.htm> and
<http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/Hobo/Photos.htm>. "15% of the price of
a Nikon F5 and 50 times more film area!" Not too expensive, really,
except for the 120mm Nikkor lens.

Cheers.

Ardeshir <http://homepage.mac.com/ardeshir>