[rollei_list] Re: OT Windows 10 ... and its competitors

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Aug 2015 12:19:17 -0500

At 08:40 AM 8/2/2015, Emmaneul wrote:

Hi, Rollei aficionados

A tiny bit of off-topic does not hurt when software is discussed here,
since without computers & software, we could not share our common
interest in Rollei cameras worldwide on the Internet.

To add some comments to what David Sadowski said ...
https://www.freelists.org/post/rollei_list/Life-after-Windows-10,1

... I dare to add here some comments that I wish to be as neutral as
possible and non-controversial, I add here this quote from Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_operating_system
"By the end of 2014, Windows Phone global market share was 2.7%.[10]"
Whereas the same Wikipedia page credits Android with more than 80% of
market share at the same time.

I'm a member of this honourable Rollei community since 1999.
I beared the horrors of crossing the Y2K barrier with you.
At the time, I had switched to Linux since 1998, but I would never
expect that a linux-based open & free software would ever challenge
Microsoft.
The same Wikipedia page says:
"Android (based on the Linux Kernel) is from Google Inc.[6] It has the
largest installed base worldwide on smartphones. In fact it is the
most popular operating system for general purpose computers ...
Android is free and open-source software"

--
Emmanuel in France, using UNIX since the mid nineties and Linux since
1998. "never look back"

I installed over 100 medical management systems on Unix (and the IBM version, forgot the name) and Open server, and still have an Open Server license from SCO, now a defunct company. I kept a copy of Open Server on my main computer until it began to sag under the load of two operating systems and 9 hard drives linked with two different SCSI systems, as well as EIDE, and SATA drives.

Being out of the business I moved to a new box and run only windows. Also I had to migrate to a "Gamers" box and the noise of the fans made Voice recognition impossible, so I slimmed down. That old box, and most of it's drives, will be donated after I have made the drives safe.

Anyhow, most of you will know that Apple software sits on top of a Unix system. When I was active in the business I saw a survey asking who had the longest "Up" Unix system. The winner had been up without incident, for > 19 years. Says a lot for Unix, Linux, and Open Server systems.

Regarding Rollei, I bought my first one, a 2.8C, in Hong Kong in 1954. (61 years ago) Cost around $200 including all accessories.