[rollei_list] OT: Where was thine, in '69?

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 09:24:28 -0400

Where were you folks on 20 JUL 1969, when man first set foot on another world?

I had summered over in Lexington, Virginia. In those days, Lexington was a magnificently dead town when Washington & Lee and the Virginia Military Institute were out of session. I had a job on a cataloguing project at the VMI library, and time flowed seamlessly, in a mix of reading old science fiction and going tubing on the Maury. There were no bars in town and they rolled the sidewalks up at 6 PM. Damn, but I would love to find a town like that today!

On the morning of 20 JUL, my TV blew up with a rather unusual belch and snarl routine. I mentioned this to a friend, a lab assistant at W&L, and he invited me over to watch the Moon landing. He is now a Professor of History at W&L and we have disagreed about everything ever since but I will always regard him as a consummate W&L gentleman for his kindness that day.

I e-mailed him this morning and copied the Department Chair, another friend of long standing.

So, where was thine, in '69?

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!