[rollei_list] Re: O.T. When was it taken?...To avoid confusions..."Moonrise"

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:46:38 -0400

Carlos Manuel Freaza:

> Thanks Aaron about the hour it was taken. Really it is
> almost incredibly that he could take the photograph so
> early in the afternoon, it is surprising to me too.
> According the latitude, New Mexico has good solar
> light along the year and I tended to think "Moonrise"
> was taken at dusk.
> BTW that is a photograph that only a LF camera could
> take, to obtain the general perspective (extent) and
> moon size and details shown in the picture.
> AA was lucky to recall the moon luminance to calculate
> the exposure.-
>
> All the best
> Carlos

By Ansel's own account, he didn't do a great job of remembering the lunar
luminance and the negative for this famous shot is quite thin. It has been
intensified but AA writes that he still found it difficult to print. Perhaps
this accounts for the three different major variant interpretations of this
negative...

Eric Goldstein