[rollei_list] Re: O.T. When was it taken?...To avoid confusions...

  • From: Bob Shell <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2005 10:57:50 -0400

The original question was not about the Hernandez moonrise photo.

Bob

On Thursday, August 25, 2005, at 09:26  AM, Aaron Reece wrote:

On Aug 25, 2005, at 8:10 AM, Bob Shell wrote:

It simply makes no difference at all when he took it. The exact combination of conditions on that day and time will never be duplicated.

Perhaps not, but it's certainly worth knowing that the Hernandez Moonrise photo was made around 4 p.m. in late October or early November, if one is an expressive photographer interested in the radical "departure from reality" (to use A.A.'s phrase) it represents. It certainly never looked like a photograph made at teatime to me. It was quite a revelation to me to find that it was made so early in the afternoon, rather than at dusk; both for the awareness that such things are possible, and that a photographer was proficient enough in "visualization" to recognize the possibility inherent in the scene and render it appropiately on film.

Unless there was some important point of historical significance, no one should care.

A.A. created one of the XXth century's iconic images in that moment. That is its historical significance. Furthermore, I don't know who you (or anyone else) is to state that "no one [else] should care."

Regards,
Aaron

--- Rollei List