[rollei_list] Re: O.T. When was it taken?

  • From: John Lehman <al7jj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Aug 2005 07:18:11 -0800

On Tue, 23 Aug 2005 23:38:34 +0200 (CEST) Martin Jangowski <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote

I read that it's possible to recreate the shot exactly as St. Ansel did. In a few weeks, the moon is exactly in the same position as it was in 1948, and I heard that they managed to pinpoint the camera location within a few meters. So I'm sure there will be a crowd fighting for the chance to shoot a picture that's a more or less an exact duplicate of St. Ansels original.

In his book <title>Examples: the Making of 40 Photographs </title> page 401, St. Ansel describes the details, as well as how he neglected to take note of the date and time, and how it was later calculated for him from lunar azimuth tables (4:05 pm 31 Oct 1941). No one will be reproducing it however badly, since the view of Española (which has grown considerably) is mostly blocked by fences and industrial buildings now. Et bliev nix wie et wor :-)

--
John Lehman, College Alaska
"Ich kann et räuhisch dir verzälle, dat Sehnsuch ich noh Kölle han."