[rollei_list] Re: OT Very OT, 2017 Murder on the Orient Express

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 18:21:54 -0700

In the camera probably correct but film release prints would have been 70mm. Some movies shot on 65mm were reduction printed to 35mm for smaller theaters, 70mm being mostly "road show" releases. Panavision, Todd-AO, the second version of Cinerama, and some other trade names were all essentially the same process using 65mm camera original and 70mm release. There are also variations in corrector lenses used to get the edges of the projected image sharp. The original Cinerama used three synchronized strips of 35mm film with the cameras mounted in a part circle, a curved screen and three projectors in the theater. Despite much nagging my parents would not spend whatever it cost to see it. I had read articles about the process and was very curious. The version printed on 70mm film is very unsatisfactory. BTW, Cinerama used seven track sound, five behind the screen and stereo surround. Sound was on a separate magnetic film run double-system. Most newer 70mm films use mono surround (makes little difference) and derive the inner tracks by mixing the ends with the center. Otherwise sound editing is a nightmare let alone dubbing.
I have not seen a movie for a long time and can't hear any more. I consider digital movies to be television no matter how large the theater.
One of Kodak's sales points was that the uniformity of the film was so great that producers did not need to "bank" film, i.e., buy as much as they thought they might possibly need of matched lot numbers so that everything would match. Unused film would often wind up on the surplus market.

On 5/22/2018 10:28 AM, John Jensen (Redacted sender jwjensen356 for DMARC) wrote:

According to IMDB the film used was  65 mm (Kodak Vision 3 500T 5219).

John

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

- Post to rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

- Online, searchable archives are available at