[rollei_list] Re: OT: VA Medical Benefits

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 06:32:30 -0400

At 08:03 PM 3/22/2010, Jeff Kelley wrote:
>Marc,
>
>I don't recall ever getting any kind of guidance circa 1978 concerning
>signing up for medical benefits.  I was in school or working & had medical
>bennies so never thought to pursue the issue back then.  After the Air Force
>I finished a couple engineering degrees and have always had good insurance
>via my own or my wife's employers.
>
>Back around 2003 when we were both out of work temporarily at the same time,
>I applied to the local VA only to find that they looked at our six-figure
>income from the year before and denied me coverage.  Apparently, these
>income limits became the rule in the early 2000s?
>
>I've never tried contacting my Congressman or Senators but given the VA's
>current income limit charts, I can't imagine them allowing me in unless we
>lose our current income which is many times the 2010 upper limit....

Jack

I understand. I was covered by various health care insurance plans when I left active duty in 1978 but still signed up for the VA. My Dad was rather insistent on that point! I didn't cancel my health care insurance until 1986.

You probably would do best to check with the local Disabled American Veterans office. They have service workers who know all of the ins and outs of the program. If they tell you that you cannot qualify, so be it. But, if there is a way, they will get you enrolled. I suspect that you are "grandfathered" by the regs in affect in 1978.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!