[rollei_list] OT: VA Medical Benefits

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 01:54:43 -0400

At 12:37 AM 3/22/2010, Jeff Kelley wrote:

>I served a full 6 year enlistment in the United States Air Force beginning
>in 1975 - four years active duty and two years reserve duty with an
>honorable discharge.
>
>I qualify for ZERO medical benefits from the VA or any other government
>agency I'm aware of.  (and believe me, I've tried!)
>
>I'd be really pleased to find out how "any Usian can get decent health care
>by serving two years in the military!"

First, go to the VA Web Site <http://www.va.og> and check out eligibility. You qualify. Service of more than 181 days and an honorable discharge qualify you. (The period of service was extended to 24 months in 1981, after you left the service. You can even apply on-line.

If they decline you, call your Congressman's office. Constituent relations are their bread and butter.

I was not allowed to outprocess UNTIL I had met with a VA rep to enroll, and that was in the fall of 1978.

Never heard of someone who served for four years with an honorable discharge and who did not qualify.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!