[rollei_list] Re: OT: Ultrafine brand B&W films

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2006 19:05:38 -0400

On Oct 11, 2006, at 6:13 PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: <Choiliefan@xxxxxxx> To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, October 10, 2006 6:56 PM Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: Ultrafine brand B&W films

In a message dated 10/10/2006 7:01:03 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jls@xxxxxxxxxx writes:
I asked myself this question a while back and decided that, if it isn't
Ilford, it is made in the same plant that makes Ilford. Ultrafine is apparently
made in England, and they claim that Ilford no longer makes film. One fellow on a
forum said that Ultrafine, Arista (Freestyle) and a number of other "private
labels" are made in England.

Jeffery Smith New Orleans, LA http://www.400tx.com/ http://400tx.blogspot.com/

The older Arista films (not Arista II) were Ilford. In fact, I once got a bunch of rolls of Arista which had Ilford stickers on them. When Ilford decided not to make custom brand products any more Freestyle had to find another source. I think they are using more than one now. At least some Arista is Foma (Arista EDU) and I seem boxes with other countries of manufacture on them. Arista paper doesn't seem to have ever been Ilford, I don't know who made the stuff I used. Current Arista paper is made by several manufacturers, Kentmere among them.
I remember the old Freestyle very well, they were on Western Ave, in the cheap rent district and always had stuff like processing machines lined up inside. I got most of my film and paper there when I was in highschool. Surplus aerial and motion picture cameras went to Allen Gordon's, out on Cahuenga Bl near Universal. I was only there a couple of times: they were too rich for my blood.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just as I was about to reply to this post, even now, in fact, the tornado warning sirens have just sounded. So it's off to the basement for me. Back later.

How dramatic :-)

Allen Zak