[rollei_list] Re: OT - Turbines generating electricity

  • From: Bernard <bernard_cousineau@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Jan 2005 22:14:50 -0500

> Yes, but remember that this cleaning power of modern cars is a result
> of the catalytic converter, not of the engine itself! Remove the
> catalytic converter and the modern engine is no better than that of the
> 70s.

The higher efficiency of modern engines is mostly due to improvements in
electronic controls, manufacturing techniques and lubricants. Catalytic
converters play a part in this. You could argue that the introduction of the
PCV
valve in the early 1960's was even more of a milestone.

> Now YOU tell me: which would be better - the humongous bank of
> batteries and no fuel engine, or an ICE generating electrcity, or a
> turbine engine of the same power and expense as the ICE generating
> electricity? It's a no-brainer, at least as far as I can see.

A no-brainer indeed. Personally, I would go with the proven technology and
avoid
technological dead-ends and vaporware. BTW, you forgot to include perpetual
motion machines in your list of options (since I am being asked to choose
between some options that are available now and others that may never be
viable).

This reminds me of something that an NHK executive supposedly explained about
HDTV. Apparently, when NHK first started working on HDTV in the late 1970's,
they set their technological goals so that the new technology would be every
bit
as good as motion picture film. Unfortunately, by the time they had a product
that was (literally) "ready for prime time," film technology had improved so
much that HDTV could not stand the comparison.

The web sites that you have linked to tell basically the same story. 30 years
ago, some people claimed that they could make automotive turbines that would be
as good as any contemporary reciprocating engine. That may be, but in the
meanwhile piston engines have become twice as efficient and polute 99% less.
Ardeshir, if you can indeed design an automotive turbine that is competitive
with today's piston technology, all I can say is don't wait 30 years to do it.

Bernard