[rollei_list] OT: Travel

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Sep 2010 02:09:35 -0400

At 01:32 PM 9/5/2010, Peter K. wrote:
Wow! Why detest travel so much? It would give you an opportunity to use your cameras.

Peter

Travel is hideous. I am 60 and really am not interested in extraneous inducements to pleasure -- remember that I lived in San Francisco in the "Summer of Love". To a large measure, I have been there and done that. Shucks, folks, I was present at the very last performance of Barnum & Bailey under the Big Top, back in '56. I do not gamble. I do not go to strip clubs. Thanks to the Internet, there are few archives I have an interest in consulting.

Travel means a loss of control. Back when I had a law office, I always had someone back at home station who could handle things for me when I was out of town. Today, I have no such person. When I leave town, I am on my own and whatever arrangements I have left behind had best be self-directing or disaster will result. I have lawn tortoises. Who is to keep them when I am gone? What about my water turtles and my fish? My cats? What if the house burns down in my absence? Best to stay home and stay in charge of things. And if I travel, I probably would miss shows on TV I want to watch, due to the interests of the folks I am visiting -- I cannot very well demand that a dedicated Protestant family suddenly switch over the SyFy channel to pick up the latest episode of, say, WAREHOUSE 13. (My wife, who went to Maine, missed the latest INSPECTOR LEWIS episode for those reasons.)

Photography? I have no darkroom. So, I have no photography. I do have a Canon Rebel DSLR which my wife took with her to Maine but which she could not figure out how to use, so she shoved it back in the bag. At the least, if I'd been there, I could have showed her how to use it. But she sprained her back, so her visit has been minimal as well. She did get to gift her grand-daughter a bear at a bear factory, and that was Pam's reason for going, so more power to her.

Air travel means no smoking, and I smoke. It means that you cannot carry a pocket knife, and I carry a Victorinox knife, as I have since 1988, having carried a Wenger before that since 1964. Air travel is impossible. If the Emperor of Japan suddenly insists that I come to Tokyo to receive a $5 million US dollar award, I'll be there posthaste. But, in the absence of that, why go through misery to see strange turf? I have spent my life seeing strange turf. Ireland was fun, but that was when you could smoke in pubs. I doubt that I would go back. Most of the other strange turf I have seen was just so much strange turf -- my folks were bicoastal so I grew up on Route 66. I have seen it, kids. It is time, now that I am 60, to stay at home and enjoy retirement.

The entire US Terror Horror Response is so stupid. Let them blow an occasional airliner out of the skies while the rest of air traffic proceeds calmly. I am a Rational Anarchist and have no time for these government restrictions. I might be more inclined to travel if they would go away.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!