[rollei_list] Re: OT: The Real World of CDs

  • From: Eric Goldstein <egoldste@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2006 10:03:05 -0400

Aaron Reece wrote:

On Apr 18, 2006, at 7:42 PM, Eric Goldstein wrote:

She asked how she could have damaged it... perhaps I should refer her to Don and Peter K. so that they can assure her that it is fine... ;-) In any event, anyone have a suggestion? Any thoughts, Aaron? As I said, this is time sensitive, and the information is not up on a web or FTP site anywhere...

Have you tested any other CDs in the same computer(s) since this failure occured? It's a long shot, but I've heard of malware that can re-write the firmware of CD-ROM drives, rendering them spotty or inoperable. If this was commercially manufactured (as opposed to burned on someone's computer), I would not expect that to be the case, but you never know. Runs of less than a thousand are typically burned instead of pressed.

Other than that, I'm afraid I can't be of too much help beyond what others have said. I don't mean to sound smarmy, but it might be a good opportunity for your wife's company's president to inform the other company that they need to get their act together. "If you don't take care of your customers, someone else will."

Best of luck,
Aaron

Yes, I think I mentioned that, Aaron. She tried several different machines; some would get her in further than others, but none would get her in all the way...

This disc was actually from one of her vendors outside the company... it's a fairly major supplier who would be known by many folks in the US...

Thanks for the suggestion...

Eric Goldstein --- Rollei List