[rollei_list] Re: OT - The 1967 Indy 500 and the turbine-powered car in it

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:19:31 -0500

On Sunday, January 30, 2005, at 11:15  PM, David Seifert wrote:

>> On Saturday, January 29, 2005, at 01:35  AM, Frank Dernie wrote:
>>
>>> There was much interest generated by the turbine car at Indy but as
>>> you say it is only mildly suitable for oval racing and even then not
>>> convincingly.
>>>
>>> Frank
>>
>> This does not sound correct given what has been said about this race.
>> The turbine powered car driven by Parnelli Jones at Indy was almost a
>> whole LAP ahead of AJ Foyt, the next driver, till almost the end of
>> the race, when a bearing in the gear casing failed - nothing to do
>> with the turbine, please note. I don't know how much more convincing
>> it can get, than to be almost a lap ahead.
>
> Ardeshir,

> aerodynamic devices [...] let me point out that rules in sports exist
> largely to keep the sport competitive. [...]

David,

I was only referring to Frank's statement that turbines were not
convincingly suitable for oval racing, which, as I wrote, didn't sound
correct given the known history of that race. If Frank had said instead
that turbines were banned from the Indy 500 because they had a huge
competitive advantage over ICEs, ... (I'll leave you to finish the
sentence)!

Cheers.