[rollei_list] Re: OT - Speed Graphic Focal Plane Shutter (was: "Advantage of 4x5 over medium format")

  • From: Ardeshir Mehta <ardeshir@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 19:04:56 -0400

On Wednesday, April 20, 2005, at 06:14  PM, Richard Knoppow wrote:

> The focal plane shutter used in Speed Graphic and Graflex SLR cameras
> is simple (sounds better than crude) but reliable.

It's simple, yes, and maybe even crude, but a BRILLIANT piece of
engineering - much like the original air-cooled rear-engined Porsche.
It's incredibly reliable, and has 24, count 'em, 24, different speeds!
Wow-wee.

I never actually USE it for photography: I simply click it every now
and then for the sheer fun of it.

Cheers.