[rollei_list] Re: OT: Slide Film and E6

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 20:25:54 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "ERoustom" <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 21, 2007 6:22 PM
Subject: [rollei_list] OT: Slide Film and E6

I just bought a couple of rolls of Kodak EPY (64T), and was told by the clerk at the store that Kodak is ending production of all slide films (as of November 07).
I thought it was just Kodachrome...

Anyway, I've found a place in Providence, Rhode Island still processing E6 daily, and very reasonably. $11 for 36 135 mounted frames. www.rciprov.com As long as RISD students still have slides to make, they'll keep running their machine, but they don't see it lasting very long. Just though some of you might find this useful.

Elias
---

I think he is confusing things. Kodak has discontinued some Ektachrome films but is still making others. Here is the announcement:
November 2, 2007

KODAK is preannouncing the discontinuance of several smaller running families of Professional film - EPR, EPN and High Speed Infrared (HIE) effective end of December 2007. Demand for these products has been declining significantly in recent years, and it is no longer practical to continue to manufacture given the low volume, the age of the product formulations and the complexity of the processes involved.

We will continue to ship product through the end of this year.

Ektachrome 64T type EPY is still listed among current professional color transparency films. Check the Kodak web site for more.

From past experience clerks at photo supply stores seem to be about the least reliable source of information there is.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA