[rollei_list] OT: Selenium accuracy was: Re: Re: An ebay explanation

  • From: Aaron Reece <oboeaaron@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 17:22:34 -0400

On Mar 19, 2007, at 1:42 PM, marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

It is one of the great myths of photography that selenium is inherently inaccurate.

Indeed; my all-time favorite application of selenium-cell technology has to be G.E.'s Pallotrope, an optical microphone originally designed to record audio onto motion-picture film. The Brunswick recording company used it to make several recordings starting in 1925 when they couldn't get access to the Western Electric electric recording technology which Victor and Columbia had licensed.

The Pallotrope worked by suspending a tiny crystal mirror inside an acoustic recording horn and shining a beam of light at it; as the sound vibrations shook the mirror, the reflected light beam was modulated and the resulting modulation registered on a selenium cell which converted the fluctuations in light intensity to fluctuations of voltage. While the audio signals thus produced were inferior to contemporary electric recordings, there is a certain evil genius to the concept. I believe Brunswick shelved the system after a brief time (about a year).

-Aaron