[rollei_list] Re: OT? Schneider Componon S 5.6/80mm

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 06:23:39 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "CarlosMFreaza" <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:17 AM
Subject: [rollei_list] OT? Schneider Componon S 5.6/80mm

I received yesterday a lens for my Kaiser VP6000 enlarger, it's a Schneider Componon S 5.6/80mm in mint condition, I quickly read in the web about Componars, Componar S, Componon without "S", Componon S and the Apo-Componon HM. According a Schneider brochure, the Componon S "meet or exceed the resolving power of most camera lenses" and "..It
is a versatile design
and may be used to make enlargements in the 2x to 20 magnification range...", Is it true?, in the real world, what is the largest print size I could obtain with this lens from a good fine grain 6x6 B&W
neg?, TIA.

Carlos

I have mostly Componon-S lenses, they are very good. The newer versions may be better but I think the difference is likely small. I also have an old chrome barrel Componon, which is also an excellent lens and has the advantage of a metal iris with enough blades to be round. The Componon-S has plastic iris blads and only five so it has a pentagonal hole. Probably of no practical difference. I also have a couple of Kodak Enlarging Ektars which compare well to the Componons although I think the latter are better lenses. Note that all lenses with fixed elements have optimum correction for a single distance. For camera lenses this is at infinity. For an enlarging lens it is at whatever distance corresponds to the magnifcation the manufacturer thinks it will be used at. The corrections do not change rapidly and are usually good over about a five to one range on either side of optimum. A few enlarging lenses are especially corrected for unusual distances, such as making photomurals and there are some specialized lenses for fixed ratio work such as printing machines. These may be optimised in a way that makes them less suitable for general use. Actually, a good camera lens would work for photomurals. Generally, the faster a lens and the wider angle the lens the more critical the optimum distance becomes. As an example most f/2 35mm camera lenses do not work well for enlarging or close up work while an f/9 process lens will work well at infinity focus even though it is corrected for equal object and image distances.

--
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA