[rollei_list] Re: OT: SM Leica Restoration (was OT:Contax II and Eddy)

  • From: "Raid Amin" <ramin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:39:58 -0600

I was chatting yesterday with Eddy Smolov about cameras, lenses, and repair of
cameras. He told me that there are 177 parts in a Contax RF camera that need to
be taken into account when fixing such a camera. His experience goes back to
when he worked for Kiev, which of course are copies of Contax cameras. Eddy is
70 years old, and he has the spirit of a younger man. Eddy is about to launch a
website for his services. He repairs any mechanical camera of any brand. In
fact, his complaint to me is that some people seem to advocate that he only
fixes Contax and Leica cameras. He loves working on Rolleiflex TLR cameras, for
example. I have a 3.5F that arrived to me through ebay in a broken condition
several years ago. I mailed it to Eddy six months ago, and he has been finding
spare parts here and there. In the end, I was told that the front of the camera
is not from that camera! He somehow managed to make the camera function, but he
got my blessings first to disengage and I had to disengage the self timer [for
some reason]. He needed a film transport mechanism for the 3.5F, which I got
for him from Krikor. Now, the camera functions beautifully. If you call Eddy to
inform him that a repaired camera is not functioning well, he will tell you
immediately: "send it back".

Raid