[rollei_list] Re: OT: SM Leica Restoration (was OT:Contax II and Eddy)

  • From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 07:57:16 -0500

I can only report my experiences with Sherry. I have been to her place several times and have had long visits with her. She clearly made it known that she was born the year the M Leicas first came out and those are her favorites to work on. She showed me her M5 Leica - thats her favorite. However, based on my experience I would not send her a LTM. How many folks out there suffer light leaks when they change out lenses on their LTMs? If this were really the case, Leica wouldn't have made it as system camera for as long as it has.

I have found that these repair folks tend to get a cult following and therefore can do no wrong. Henry Schere is a classic example of this - else why would one wait a year and a half turnaround. However, I received a Super Ikonta back from him whereby the 'B' and 'T' on the shutter didn't work. My point - these people are human too. I don't buy into the idea that they are always right and never lie - but then perhaps I've been buying and selling gear on a whimsy and have no idea what I am talking about. Silly me!

Rob

On Jan 6, 2009, at 11:41 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

Few professionals in the photography business have ever impressed me
consistently much as Sherry Krauter's whose reputation is long as the river is wide. You hate to see such professionals have their integrity thrown up in the air by guys on gear chat lists who buy and sell gear on a whimsy and wonder why they don't know how to use any of it or have any shots to show
for it.
Countless stories raves plaudits on the LEICA USERS GROUP going back over a decade about her consistent excellence and integrity. I've spoken to her briefly getting to know her just a little bit at just about every October
for 11 years at the LHSA meetings and have seen her fascinating
demonstrations on the history of the M5 and CL; much maligned gear. Always good advice. Never have I ever heard a cross word said about her work. If Sherry tells you there have always been curtain problems of a certain
nature on a LTM then it is true.
She works on them normally on a certain part of the year I've recently been told. I'm sending in my IIIF to have a hanging Chad dealt with once I find
out when.

Mark Rabiner

From: Robert Lilley <54moggie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 21:35:15 -0500
To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [rollei_list] Re: OT: SM Leica Restoration (was OT:Contax II and
Eddy)

All this was in regards to my Leica IIIa. I think she doesn't like to
work on the older SM Leicas and especially doesn't like doing curtain
jobs.  Sherry told me that light leaks around the edges of the
curtains were normal in older Leicas and that you had to hold the
camera tightly to your chest when changing lenses.  I think she was
just talking around doing a curtain job.   Then there was an issue
with her fixing the slow speeds.  She insisted that the slow speed
knob be brought back to a 20th of a sec (the change over position from
the big speed knob) in between making slow speed settings - this was
the explanation for why the low speeds were inconsistent.  Like, who
would buy a camera with so many quirks!   I  got fed up with the
camera and sold it.  She was OK with work she did on my M6.   I would
trust her with any M camera.

On Jan 6, 2009, at 8:14 PM, akroehle wrote:

Just out of curiosity - what was the issue with Sherry?
I've used her before without incident, but would like to know if
there's
Something to watch out for.