[rollei_list] Re: (OT) Rilex Press Cameras

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 00:24:13 -0500

At 12:10 AM 3/25/2012, Kirk Thompson wrote, in part:
Further, it would need a flash bracket and a (Kalart) rangefinder. It would have a back window cover, as in the picture; but it would never be focused that way (except perhaps for copy work). With 127 & 135mm lenses (often Ektars; sometimes Xenars, etc.), a rangefinder would be almost as important as a film.

I remember that some "press cameras" had a solenoid associated with the shutter, perhaps as an add-on flash sync device.

I also remember, prior to 1950, that photographers at school dances used a Rollei with two coupled light beams to focus in the dark.

Finally, I bought my first strobe in Panama in the summer of 1953. It was powered by a 67.5 volt battery and worked fine. I did have to grind another cam on my Argus C4 shutter shaft for X sync. It only had F and M as I recall. It took a while for me to figure out that using larger and larger lens openings didn't change the exposure. I finally flashed the shutter from the back, camera open, and found that the shutter was only partly open when the flash fired. The shutter toggle bar broke and I sent it to Argus for repair. They ripped out my stuff and I had to make new contacts. That toggle was a design defect.

DAW