[rollei_list] Re: (OT) Rilex Press Cameras

  • From: Kirk Thompson <thompsonkirk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Rollei List <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2012 22:10:00 -0700

But despite what Mr. Riley may have named it, that's just not  press camera.
First of all, at that time, it would have been 4x5.  6x9s (called 2-1/4s) were
used by night club ladies in scanty outfits who took your picture, passed the
film out the door, and had your glossy 8x10 back before you finished your next
drink.  But no newspaper, or at least no local one, would have had a supply of
2-1/4 film holders.
Further, it would need a flash bracket and a (Kalart) rangefinder. It would
have a back window cover, as in the picture; but it would never be focused that
way (except perhaps for copy work).  With 127 & 135mm lenses (often Ektars;
sometimes Xenars, etc.), a rangefinder would be almost as important as a film.

And finally, instead of the clumsy rails it would need a folding bed for
protection when it was tossed into the coupe.  It probably went in a battered
case that held the camera between two rows of exposed/unexposed film holders.
Press cameras got banged around, so no press photographer would have bought an
odd size/brand.  It had to be a Speed Graphic with focal plane shutter, for
sports; or for budget, backup, and weddings, a Crown Graphic (lighter, w/o the
heavy thudding shutter).  Anyone who abused one could have it fixed quickly.
You could adjust the RF and flash synch yourself (the latter, by photographing
a bare flash bulb on an extension cord, to see if it had burned brightly while
the shutter was open).
The only wannabe competitor was the Busch Pressman.
Ah, those were the days (said the high school boy who drove the nearly blind
local reporter/stringer and took his pictures).
Kirk