[rollei_list] OT: Richard Knoppow's Leica IIIc

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 23:58:23 -0400

At 11:32 PM 8/25/2008, Richard Knoppow wrote:

>    I'll give him a call in a couple of days. Some people
>think I talk too much. Actually, I think I tend to and have
>learned some restraint. Most people would rather have you
>listen. As a lawyer I am sure you know the value of being a
>really good listener.
>    The camera does have a folding Summitar on it. For a
>long time I thought this lens had a cracked surface on one
>of the internal elements but when I looked again the other
>day it was just fine and the lens has no damage.
>    I don't know if you are interested in Leica serial
>numbers but just in case the camera number is 512483 and the
>lens number is 684050. The lens is coated. I have a case and
>lens cap but no other accessories. I would like to get this
>thing going because it is so small and light and is a well
>designed bit of machinery.

Well, I am VERY much a retired attorney and thus no longer have to listen: I just have to endrue!

The Summitar is a most delightful lens which Leitz downgraded by its repetitive advertising for the replacement Summicron. There are little distinctions in the designs from what appears to me. Leitz tried to put out that the Summitar was for black-and-white and that the Summicron was for color but, trust me, I have them all and there is no recognizable difference in their performance albeit I have found the later non-collapsible (not "foldable"! For heaven's sakes!) 2/5cm Dual-Range Summicron a magnificent lens in all regards. But, then, I would hardly send my Summitar back to the factory.

My first vintage camera was a Voigtländer Bessa folder I acquired in 1962 on my 12th birthday. I still have that camera and it still takes great shots with its 3-element Voigtar lens. Then 28 years passed by, and I picked up a Leica IIIc with a 2/6cm Summitar, and the rest is history. After that I got into Zeiss Ikon and then into Rollei -- this List is a result of my interest, I might quietly note! -- and then two books and so forth and so on.

The sole problem with the Summitar is the lack of a factory lens hood. For $75 or so, you can purchase the barn-door lens hood provided by Leitz but a simpler solution is to use a Series VI lens hood arrangement. The problem here is that the Summitar has a imique tapered 36.4mm thread. To your relief, both Tiffen and Ednalite made Series VI adapters and I do believe I have a spare Ednalite 601 adapter ring. Give me a hint that you are interested and I will try it dig it out of my many boxes. I will lay you even money that I will find it before you get the camera back from Brother Ken -- he is VERY slow but very much worth the wait.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!