[rollei_list] Re: OT Re: new Zeiss Ikon- a hollow construct?

  • From: "Austin Franklin" <austin.franklin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Nov 2009 11:28:46 -0500

Hi Carlos,

> ...I don't understand why you are comparing Rollei MF
> cameras (if you were talking about them) with Leica or any other 35mm
> camera, they are different formats very clearly, you could compare the
> Leica with the Rollei 35 or the Rollei 35 RF, a true Bessa copy.

It was not a matter of format, but a matter of two companies that have long
histories in making cameras, both of them landmark in their respective
"formats".  They are very similar in many ways.  Both in awkwardness and
traditional methodologies and optical considerations, and engineering
elegance.  All of which made them legendary, functional and mythical to some
degree.

I would never even imaging comparing the Leica M series to any of the Rollei
35mm cameras.  That would be like comparing Rollei TLRs to Seagull TLRs IMO,
or a Ferrari 512BB to a Fiero.  But, again, the format had nothing to do
with my point.

> replied to Frank I never used the word "superior" or "superiority" .
> Carlos

True, but your tone and position clearly indicate that you believe this.  In
the MF TLR space, you will get few who will argue against.  But, once you
step outside that "box", it becomes more personal preference and subjective.

Regards,

Austin