[rollei_list] Re: OT Re: new Zeiss Ikon- a hollow construct?

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 09 Nov 2009 01:49:24 -0500

> I used an M6 for many years (until I went digital), I was impressed
> with the marketing b*llshit of the Zeiss Ikon too, until I handled
> one. It is a Bessa with modified styling tinwork and a longer
> rangefinder base, IMO purely for marketing. There are a few "styling
> clues" to make the unwary think there is a family relationship in
> something other than styling. It is absolutely -nothing- like a
> Contax. I used a Contax II for quite a long time but do not like the
> handling. I still use a Contarex with film.
> Frank

My first camera, first cameras a thing we are talking about on the LUG
(which Frank is also on) is a Voigtländer Vito BL which I still amazingly
after leaving it on a Chicago public bus still have. My grandfather gave it
to my dad who gave it to me when he got his Contarex Bullseye in 1962.

It resembles in no way except typeface the cameras being made now in Japan
with the same name on it.
Which are plastic and hollow.
The real ones are metal and solid.

For some reason what infuriated me even worse is when they use terms like
"Color-Skopar"  and "Bessa".

Once in a blue moon a new person on that list refers to their brand new
cheap Cosina as a " Voigtländer ".  And they are politely informed that we
tend to refer to them as CV's. The Zeiss Icon's are referred to I think as
ZM 's. After the mount.

Mark William Rabiner